"In your hands, the birth of a new day... " (Limahl)

3 December 2006

Christmas shopping




After a long night, I woke up tired and torn between two minds.

Since 1997, a December Saturday always meant one thing only: busking.

However I was tired and the blustery weather promised a long, unseasonal struggle of attrition if I went busking.

On the other hand, Christmas shopping had been preying on my mind and I also wanted a rest from work.


I loaded up my instrument in the boot, but this was half-hearted tokenism. I never really had any intention of busking today.

I also knew that Hereford United were playing in the FA Cup so I headed up the A470 and landed in Brecon to start my Christmas shopping - with the intention of heading eastwards to Hereford via Hay on Wye afterwards. The River Usk at Brecon is pictured, above.

Given this tight schedule, geocaching was never on the cards I'm afraid.

Sorted out some fine giifts for Maalie and TCA2006 early on. These are traditionally tricky assignments so I was glad to get them excellent gifts early on in the proceedings! I found some other bits and pieces in a craft market in the market hall. By 12.20 it was time to move on. Bouyed by a packet of 6 Greggs mince pies, I drove through the rain to Hay on Wye, the town of books.
















Children's bookshop at Hay-on-Wye

I only needed a brief stop in Hay. But it is such a pleasant town, I was torn between staying there to browse, or move on to watch the football in Hereford. Eventually opted for the latter and drove eastwards. I cursed as I accidentally found myself on the Whitney toll bridge but was quite happy when I realised it was only 50p - and very picturesque as well.

















Rainbow near Staunton-on-Wye

I had Virgin 1215 AM in the car and was glad to hear the song which I associate with the beginning of my Geocaching phase earlier this year - "Never be lonely" by The Feeling. They really are a brilliant band. A pop group who are just a pleasant pleasant people who write nice songs without resorting to foul-mouthed garb. They gave a wonderful performance on Children in Need and a very polite interview afterwards. One could take them home to meet one's mother-in-law without any hesitation.

A bright rainbow marked most of my journey through Herefordshire. The picture above doesn't really do it justice - I couldn't find a safe place to stop while it was at its strongest. Just a few minutes after seeing the rainbow, the radio announced that it was half-time at the Hereford match! Arrrrgh!












Hereford v Port Vale: the view from outside Edgar Street

So, driving through the middle of Herefordshire, I had two options - turn back to Wales or plod boldly on to Hereford for more Christmas shopping. I plumped for the latter. I made a token effort to persuade stewards to let me in to catch the end of the Hereford match (have never visited Edgar Street) but was refused entry. Went into town and did a little bit of shopping. Most significantly, I completely upgraded our Christmas decorations by opting for several items from Poundstretcher's "O little star" range of items. My favourites were the frosted pine cones.

Returned home tired but happy and hosted a crepes party for two friends that evening.